Project approval number: 124/39 / Α3 / 11.01.2018
Amendment decision: 277/17.01.2022
OPS Code: 5007967 in the Operational Program “Competitiveness Entrepreneurship and Innovation 2014-2020
Beneficiary Code: 40409040
The operation is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF)
The relevant Act for Lake Kaiafas is being implemented, in cooperation with the Ministry of Culture & Sports, as co-beneficiary of the Act, in the framework of a signed memorandum of cooperation and with the Ministry of Tourism, as funding body.
Date of Commencement: 01/10/2017
Expiry Date: 30/09/2023
Short Description: The Kaiafas Thermal Spring Complex of Ilia includes thermal springs and facilities, as well as the wider natural environment of great ecological and aesthetic value with rare biodiversity that extends to the sea. The complex consists of Lake Kaiafas, the island in the lake and the beach area. The property is part of the Site of Community Importance “Dunes and Coastal Forest of Zacharos, Lake Kaiafas, Strofilia, Kakovatos” under the NATURA 2000 European network (code 2330005).
The total area of the “Kaiafas Thermal Spring” property covers 6,139,000 square meters. It is owned by GNTO, except for the coastal zone and the lake – designated as a lagoon – which belongs to the administration and management of EOT and today to HPPC SA.
The operation area covers an area of 120,868.58 square meters.
The project includes:
- A part of existing buildings legalized with the no. 508131 / 29.01.2002 “Certificate of legality of tourist building facilities of Kaiafas baths”
- Modernization of infrastructure
- Environmental protection, information and awareness-raising projects, as well as restoration of affected areas, as described in the environmental impact study.
Through the Act, the implementation of the necessary interventions to form a prototype ecotourism model is aimed for, which will result from the implementation of a mixture of actions to:
- Modernize existing facilities
- Restore the natural environment
- Create a park of environmental awareness and activities on alternative forms of tourism
- Use innovative methods to address the integrated concept of eco-development, and
- Secure financial viability for the operation and protection of the project and the natural environment
Total expenditure with documents: Total eligible public expenditure: € 2.977.711,70